We have always suggested a Professional version of Windows for those clients that want to have the added functionality that Professional offers. SalonTouch will function on the Home edition of the operating system and there are only minor differences between the versions. While these differences are minor, such as the ability to use Remote Desktop Protocol to access a computer remotely (requires a static IP unless on the same Domain) there are some that can affect the salon.
- Windows Professional users are able to defer or turn off Windows updates and allow their IT staff to manage the updates for the salon. This allows them more control over how and when updates occur for business continuity.
- Windows Home will push updates to the PCs and require a restart to complete. If this happens during the middle of your busiest times, the salon could be running manually for several hours. You are able to set active hours, but these are not a 24 hour block on the updates.
- The ability to use Group Policy to keep employees from changing the computer's clock. Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 have tools for this in the Professional versions. Home does not and requires 3rd party tools. BE AWARE Modifying Group Policy Objects is not for a normal computer user. Always create a backup before modifying the Group Policy.
- Windows Professional is able to join a Domain with the increased security and centralized management that a Domain offers. This is often far more than a single salon requires and would not be done lightly. It require dedicated servers and added operational expenses.
- Windows Professional allows virtual sandboxing of the Edge browser and other security features helping to protect the operating system from what websites the employees might access.