It is easy for a salon to install SalonTouch without assistance from our support center, but certain steps must be followed or the installation will fail.
- You will want to wait to copy the SalonTouch folder to the new computer until after SalonTouch has been installed. If you do not, the SQL server will not install and it must be installed manually.
- Turn off Windows User Account Controls.
- Run every program using an Administrator account and by right-clicking on the file and selecting Run as administrator.
- You will use the Standard Installation option. Unless you are operating in a privately hosted WAN, you will never need the other options.
- When the SQLExpress_Wizard.exe runs to add a new SQL server database instance, select Add New Instanceand click OK.
- After the database instance installs, a Window will appear asking you to Locate the Database Folder. At this time you will move or copy all 30 database files into the c:\SalonTouch\Databases folder. You can replace the blank databases already in that folder.
- Select the c:\SalonTouch\Databases folder and click OK. This will attach the databases that were moved into the folder.
- If you installed SQL Server 2008 R2 then you can either use the blank database files in C:/SalonTouch/Databases or drop your 30 database files from another installation then attach them from SSMS.
- For Windows 8 computers and higher, you will need to run c:\salontouch\Extras\crystal1.exe and c:\salontouch\Extras\crystal2.exe as an administrator in that order.
- If you are running in a Local Area Network with multiple computers, you will need to share the C:\SalonTouch folder with Everyone. If you do not select Everyone, you will need to manage the user that have access to that folder across the network manually.
- You can run the following code in an elevated command prompt to set the owner to everyone and change the write rights.
- Tip: To open an elevated command prompt you can press the Windows key on the keyboard, type cmd, and right-click run as administrator.
icacls "C:\SalonTouch" /setowner "Everyone" /T /C icacls "C:\SalonTouch" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T
After the instillation share C:\Salontouch\databases\ with Everyone group and set inheritance to child objects. Make sure this propagates to the DB objects.
Click on the Security tab, and click the Advanced button.
For Windows 8 and 10, you will click Change permissions, then the Enable inheritance button, and put a check mark in Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object. Windows XP, Vista, and 7 are similar but have slight differences.
Open the cliconfg.exe. (For 64-bit computers there are two one at C:\Windows\System32\cliconfg.exe and the second at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cliconfg.exe)
- Double Click on Named Pipes and TCP/IP to pass those protocols over to the Enabled column.
- Click on Alias tab.
- Click Add.
- Put LocalServer in for the Server alias.
The Server name will be .\SALONTOUCH - the '.' is used to denote the local computer name.
- Click OK.
- Repeat this for c:\Windows\SysWOW64\cliconfg.exe if the PC is a x64 system. There have been cases where both x86 and x64 aliases are required for replication to function properly.
- Run the c:\salontouch\Selector_SQL.exe as administrator and a non-administrator. It should automatically find the SQL server instance installed above.
- Run C:\SalonTouch\IndexUpdUtil.exe to Add Indexes to Database
- Set regional settings to US formatting. You can use the Hosted RegionalSettings.reg
- Create a backup of their databases Setup SalonTouch Backup
- Open SalonTouch
- When SalonTouch is open, it will ask you to either select a salon from a list or create a new salon.
Select the correct salon or select Create New Salon and click OK.
- Enter your salon's information.
Use 01 for the ID or a identifier for the salon such a North or South depending on what you want.
- If SalonTouch 10 is not being installed, call 877-725-6686 Option 3 for a bypass or Install Sentinel Key Driver